Entry # 3 ( Starting implementing videos)
It was time then to start implementing the strategy
with my pupils to see their reaction. For my first observation, I wrote these field
notes on my agenda (handwriting) that were then digitized for this blog. I
selected a tv series I found on YouTube called EXTRA (British English), it
appears to me that it is part of a creative commons project designed to enhance Language
learning around the world ( the material is also available in French and Spanish
learners). The material targets precisely the vocabulary and grammar that I wish
to cover in the lesson, the actors are British and the speak in what I would
call a slow pace for any beginner.
I wanted to test what they could understand/retain
from watching just part of the episode one without prior help. I did not
pre-teach the target vocabulary [which I realized was wrong after reviewing one
of my articles- (Ishihara & Chi 2004)] their
only instruction was to explain in English what they understood. I wanted to
give them the opportunity to watch content entirely English. The flow of native
speakers intimidated most of my learners, and I could notice that some of them (the
good performers of the group, of course) got a global understanding of what was
going in the half-episode. About 7
students out of 32 in this session on that day raised their hands to summarize what
they have just watched. Another important point to mention is that students
failed to catch the most important words, expressions, and grammar structure in the
semi-episode but anyway they were all somehow in a good mood because the class was
being taught differently. Even though the activity was not a resounding success
(I guess), I felt it gave me ways to improve my next session. So I went on with
the remaining minutes of the class.
Hello Mike.
ReplyDeleteI think everyday is a way of learning and teaching, it is always good to vary your methods because it will keep your lessons interesting. Using videos for teaching vocabularies is a great strategy, it can keep students’ cognitive actively engage by helping most of the students easily understand the meaning, pronunciation, and use of the words. However, videos should never be a substitute of teacher, I know when we implement a new teaching style it helps us as a teacher see our mistakes and do a better job on the next lesson.
Yes, I agree with your point of view, videos or I would rather say technology itself can not replace the teacher. Those are tools that we can use to achieve our learning goals. The paper is taking shape and I am excited to say , it is in its final editing stage. Thinks for all your comments.
ReplyDelete