Skip to main content

Blog Entry #4

 Entry #4 Field notes from my 2nd class

For this class, I continue using the same audiovisual material form YouTube called EXTRA (Educational British English) since we use haft of the episode 14 minutes I decided to replay the first part and then the remaining 15 minutes, I think repeating the first part was helpful because according to Yüksel and Tanrıverdi (2009) cited by Karakas (2015). vocabulary acquisition happens with long and continuum exposure. This class went much better than the one analyzed previously (class 1), because this time I made a few adjustments,  I believed I removed some lexical barriers that were creating obstacles for the students to take advantage of the video. I proceeded with a pre-viewing/pre-teaching session according to Burt (1999) and Stempleski (1993) cited by Ishihara & Chi (2004). Basically, I wanted the learners to have the language resources necessary in order for them to understand the episode. I presented the target vocabulary in a PowerPoint presentation (mainly the essential vocabulary for a global understanding) with images without translating the words to their native Spanish. This Pre-viewing activity tapped into the students’ background knowledge and it enabled them to comprehend the after- viewing questions by predicting/guessing the answers even before watching the intended episode (Ishihara & Chi, 2004). I believe, incorporating the pre-viewing activity stimulates learners’ imaginations adding a cultural element and facilitating memorization.

This lesson was enriching for my learners, who were very active during the whole session. This episode of Extra allowed me to work effectively listening and oral comprehension, shown by the results of students ‘answers to the questions. I got great results, my next observation will be focused on assessment.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Entry #3

  Entry # 3 ( Starting implementing videos) It was time then to start implementing the strategy with my pupils to see their reaction. For my first observation, I wrote these field notes on my agenda (handwriting) that were then digitized for this blog. I selected a tv series I found on YouTube called EXTRA (British English), it appears to me that it is part of a creative commons project designed to enhance Language learning around the world ( the material is also available in French and Spanish learners). The material targets precisely the vocabulary and grammar that I wish to cover in the lesson, the actors are British and the speak in what I would call a slow pace for any beginner. I wanted to test what they could understand/retain from watching just part of the episode one without prior help. I did not pre-teach the target vocabulary [which I realized was wrong after reviewing one of my articles- (Ishihara & Chi 2004)] their only instruction was to explain in English w...

Blog Entry #2

My Source of data: Literature review, Field notes from blog and feedbacks The main source of data for this action research is the literature review, the examination of a large range of publications on the topic of implementation of audiovisuals to improve learning was carried out.  From that initial search, the most relevant information was set aside to be analyzed. It is important to mention that Google scholar, Concordia EBSCO, and Oxford academic ELT were my primary used databases for the 15 selected sources (articles/books). The articles and books selected constitute a good sample to get great insights into the implementation of this strategy. To move on, I proceeded to examine the chosen texts, author, by author, extracting the specific pieces of knowledge related to integrating videos to my lessons to improve students’ performance. Utilizing the coding and memoing techniques (work in progress since data is still being analyzed) as a systematic process to help me link contents...

Blog Entry #1

Reflection on improving my student’s performance while working from distance. On March 17 th , 2020, in the Dominican Republic the government announced what they called “state of emergency”, this activates a quarantine for 15 days (it will be prolonged to over 90 days though). This canceled all grouping activities including school, church, and many jobs because of the pandemic covid19. So, we found ourselves transitioning from completely face-to-face instruction to online education. Finding myself with many questions already (even before the switch to e-learning) about why my students perform so poorly in English, I had as many doubts as my students to start distance instruction without any previous training. But it was the call of duty, here I wrote some of my observation on the first week of unexpected online classes: · High absenteeism (about 20-30% of students) · We were all lost because our planning was not adapted to online education · Not able to work synchronicall...